Friday 22 August 2008

Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks


Whenever I hear someone come on stage with an American accent I feel slightly afraid for them as Britain has a reputation for being a hard place to gig, or the audiences are known for being hard to please. With Steve Malkmus this wasn't the case....I think he won the audience over with his style and sent most of them over the moon, many of them (like me) were probably were probably still there for a few days.

Free Steve Malkmus downloads here, if you like it buy the album

Most songs ended with what seemed like 5 minutes of jamming (good jamming), the music was intense and you didn't quite know where it was going to take you next.

They've obviously been in the music industry for a while and like Sonic Youth they are continuing to make good music for all the right reasons and have not let the success destroy or taint what they do, it's just good music.

I went to get a beer someway through the gig and was dying to get back in case I missed anything and almost kicked the woman who tried to stop me from getting past her to where my friends were. I've forgiven Dominique for accidentally throwing his beer at me (what a waste) it cooled me down and my mascara was waterproof...although it is better to drink your beer rather than throw it all over your friends and I'm sure it was true that it was knocked out of his hand because the crowd was getting overstimulated by the real emotional trash being played.

Stephen Malkmus is the ex member of Pavement the Jicks are his band I saw them play at Sheperds Bush Empire in June 2008. I was late for work the next day, it didn't really bother me, and I have 2 badges that I got from the merchandise table...

They were promoting their new album Real Emotional Trash which has a great album cover.. and the title pretty much sums up the sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment