Friday 23 July 2010

Stevie Starr - We hope in all things new

Stevie Starr has released an album that not only captures some of the sounds that remind me of New Zealand but he also captures sounds and memories of the things that he's found while being abroad.   Some of the songs are like soundscapes, setting the scene which is why it reminds me of travelling and looking out at the world through train windows.  There is plenty of atmosphere all the way through this album and what is nice about it is that it seems to be stepping away from the mainstream.  During my conversations with Stevie Starr it is apparent that this is a deliberate move as much of the things going on in the mainstream he finds to be quite sickening, which I can relate to. 

Theres a sort of melancholy in some of the tracks which to me is reminiscent of the moods found in the music of God Speed You Black Emperor.  His lyrics sometimes digress into statements of self loathing "you could even have dances with sad bastards like me" but he does not dwell in this for very long and gets onto more ironic yet life affirming statements like "rejoice with enemies.....with bullets that shoot your heart, rejoice, rejoice"







I recommend this album and it can be downloaded for free.

www.thesteviestarr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment